It´s been awhile since my last post here but I have been busy last months on setting up my router, installing new spindle and another motor controller. I did fry my old stepper motor controllers due to the fact that I don´t know to much about electricity. I did put a switch on the dc site of the power supply that caused my breakout board to fry with smoke and everything. I therefore purchased a Gecko G540 wich I must say I really like, very simple easy and reliable and it reduces all the wiring and therefore reduces the changes of messing something up
Now I am using a Ridgid spindle wich works very well. The speed range is 20.000 to 30.000 RPM but it would have been nice to have slover speeds also avilable. This works fine tough with all material that I have cut except plexi.
I have to shield the lower bearing from debris from the spindle, For now I am using duct tape as a permanent solution. I also did purchase more spindle bits from trend ranging from 1,5mm in diameter to 3,2mm bot spiral and straight cut.
It took me awhile to get the right travel on the x-axis due to the fact that the axis is belt driven and I had to find the right tension to get good results, now the accuracy is 0,1mm wich I am happy with for now. Later on I will redesign this axis and put on a lower gear ratio for more accurate resaults.
I have also added limit switches on all axes and they are also my home switches. Here you can see the limit switch installation on the Z-axis.
And below you can see my first piece that I made after improvements.
And finally a picture of me.
I am now making parts for my quadrocopter so stay tuned for more to come.
Leave a comment »
Yai Finally my parts arrived, this was a long wait but they look gergous I must say:) Everything did fit do gether so now all parts have arrived so I can finish my assamble and start routing soon, hopefully.
When I first tried to insert the nut on to the ballscrew it went horrible wrong. All the balls fell out and they where so small. Fortunetly I had a bucket under to capture all the balls, I was worried this might happen. the reason for this mistake was that the tube that did hold the balls in place was not thin enough to go all the way to the to the threads. The tube that did hold all the balls in place was something under 12mm in inside diameter and therefore I could not take it all the way where the threads start since the diameter of the shaft was 12mm. The installation was easy, I just used some grease to hold the balls in place and made new tube to hold the balls with large enough diameter to fit over the shaft all the way to the thread. The second ballscrew went lot better.
2 Comments »
I have now completely built a new frame for my router. The frame size is 1200x500x600 and I am hoping to be able to have usable area for cutting around 1000×400.
Now I am waiting, like a child on chrinstmas for my other parts to be watercutted.
For more info on the project click hereLeave a comment »