Quadrocopter – First part made on my newly built home made router

Finally here are some photos from my latest Quadrocopter build. I designed the frame and all parts for the frame are milled from Carbon fiber og PE-300 with my CNC router.

The lower main plate for my frame

The lower main plate for my frame. Made from 2mm carbon fiber.

 

I made everything so I would have enough parts for two Quadrocopters.

The upper main plate for my frame

The upper main plate for my frame. The tail is for mounting the battery with velcro strap. Made from 2mm carbon fiber.

 

clamps

The clamps for the arms. I made about 100 pieces.

 

The legs for my copter

The legs for my copter. Made from 1mm thick carbon fiber. Next time I will make them from 1.5mm thick carbon fiber and also change the design they tend to brake to easily at least when you are learning how to fly this things.

 

The motor mounts

The motor mounts. made from 2mm carbon fiber.

frame assembled

Frame assembled and ready for all the electronics and wires.

 

Top view

Top view, frame assembled

 

Motors assembled to my frame

Motors assembled to my frame

 

A lot of wires

A lot of wires

 

Turnigy Motors

Turnigy Motors

 

All assembled and ready for the first flight

All assembled and ready for the first flight, Gopro Hero mounted to the front.

 

Me and my Quad

Me and my Quad

 

The frame has poved to very good except the legs tend to brake very easily. For my next design I will make some minor changes and try to organize the wires better. Also I want to be able to mount better camera to my quad.
I will post video from my latest flights soon. I am still learning the basics of how to edit the videos.

Leave a comment »

Quadrocopter – the begining

Ok, I have not blogged about this project before but I have been working on it for almost two years now on and off, the router project took a lot of time so I have not been able to work on this as I wanted. Since my router project is now “finished” or at least is up and running I have spent the last month working on my newest Quadrocopter. Before I make post on my newest progress I want to show you my first designs and toughts.

First of all I started to order all the parts I needed. I ordered alot of parts to have enough of spares in case something would brake. I bought the controller board from Aeroquad wich is a open source project. Other parts I bought there were the propellers. Other parts I bought from Hobbyking, I did buy a lot of wires, connectors, heat shrink tubes, carbon fiber plates and tubes and other parts I tought would come handy in the build. My initial tought was to make the Quad as light as possible. Below is my first design.

 

My first Quadrocopter

My first flight was not succsessfull to say the least, it went up trough two rolls and crash landed with the frame broken, all props broken and one motor damaged. This was quite frustrating but I started to make another frame. The frame was made from balsa wood and carbon fiber tubes glued together and was extremely light. The next flights were more successfull and I managed to fly but my pilot skills
were really bad. I added 1kg of steel bars on the quad to make it slower and more controlable. This helped alot and surprised me how much weight it was able to carry.
Here are few pictures of it almost ready to fly.

Me holding the second Quad almost ready to fly

Me holding the second Quad almost ready to fly

My second quad

My second quad

 

A closer look at the electronics

A closer look at the electronics

After a few flights my frame had sufferd a lot of beating and I had to make a new one. At this point I wanted to make proper frame so I decided to finish my router build.

It took me a while to finish the router build but now I have “finished” the router and also made the first frame with it. More pictures and videos from the build and the first flights coming soon.

 

Leave a comment »